Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shhh...It's a Surprise!!

Alaska!  To tell you the truth, it’s not my first choice for a vacation.  I’m a sun girl.  I LOVE it.  I love getting hot & tan.  But, my husband has been talking about visiting Alaska since we first moved to Montana in April of ’02.  I always told him that I lived in Montana for 4 years, there was no need for me to visit Alaska J.  I started thinking about what would be a great 10 year anniversary gift & I started thinking about going to Alaska.  I did a little bit of research on cruises (that was about the only way I knew I would go!).  Then in October ’09 we met some friends at Disneyland for a few days and we started talking about an Alaskan cruise & that Disney had announced they would be sailing there for the first time the summer of 2011.  I knew that was my answer!!  A Disney cruise to Alaska!  It is a perfect fit for our family: something for the kids to do, something for the adults to do all with that Disney magic. So I booked it……..and didn’t tell David.  I decided I would wait until March 3,2011 to tell him (our 10th anniversary).  Now, as many of you know, I like to talk……a lot.  A secret for me is HARD!  Good thing we had friends going on the same cruise so I could talk to someone about it!  Matter of fact it is truly unbelievable that David didn’t find out about this before I told him.  Here is the list of our party traveling together:  Stephen, Tammy, Chase & Ally Whiting; Scott Whiting; Helen & Larry Whiting; Stuart, Misty, Amber & Erin Whiting; Joan & Ken Preslar; Pat & Brennan Tatum; Blaine & Janie Totty; then the 4 of us!  WHEW!  What a group!  It is so awesome traveling with a lot of people…especially people you like J. As March 3rd rolled around I could not figure out how to tell him.  I wrestled with a lot of different ideas.  In the end I didn’t do anything super creative.  We had a wonderful family offer to keep the boys the night of our anniversary—definitely something we don’t get often!  This was only the second night the boys have not been with one of us.  Ok – I digress.  When David came home from work..surprise #1- I made a great steak supper for us to eat at home! Surprise #2 – the boys are staying at the Leonard’s.  Surprise #3 -  time to give gifts.  I just gave him a card with a picture of the Disney Wonder in Tracy Arm, Alaska on the inside.  He opens up the card and looks at the picture and says…”Is this a  hint?  You want to go on a Disney cruise?”  I laughed a little and then told him we ARE going on a Disney cruise & it was to Alaska!  He was shocked…for at least 20 minutes! He just couldn’t believe that in just a few weeks we would be sailing!  It was such a great gift for him.  Something he has had on his “list” for a long time. 
This is the picture I gave David in his card




Next up: Our WONDERful Vacation

No comments:

Post a Comment